Origins Online (ELC)
Basic non-animated banner for Alkaline Greens

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

$aving Money=Saving Calories!

I am slowly coming around from my Diet Coke Cold Turkey withdrawal...and "slowly" is being generous! I could barely move for a good chunk of the day yesterday (compounded by a flu bug, nice double whammy!) so I got close to nothing done yesterday with my jewelry biz. However, I figured I could do one thing to help me out of my stupor...how much MONEY would I save if I no longer drank Diet Coke???


Trying to find the silver lining in this dark withdrawal cloud, I put pen to paper.

Check out this math:

My last 12 pack of Coke cost $2.50
Plus Ca. Redemption Value** $ .60
Total Cost of 12 pack of Diet Coke $3.10

(**I am not factoring out the CRV as I do recycle, but do not recycle to recoup that amount**)

I figured, on an average day, I would drink a minimum of 6 Diet Cokes. I will fully admit to the fact that there were days where I came close to killing that 12 pack! But, I will say that I drank an average of 6/day:

Total Cost of 12 Pack $3.10
Divided by 12 in Pack 12
Total Cost per Diet Coke $ .25

Total Cost per Diet Coke $ .25
Times 6 Diet Cokes per Day 6
Total Daily Diet Coke Consumption Amount $1.50
Times 365 Days per Year 365
Total Cost of Yearly Diet Coke Comsumption $547.50

WOW! That is an amazing figure...and truly...on the low side. This is not taking into account the Diet Cokes I had in restaurants, from fast food joints, etc.

That could be a new Coach bag for me! Now, kickin that Diet Coke addiction feels mighty awesome! Or, I could set that money aside for an upcoming vacation...or to buy new skinny clothes! I will be so proud that I did this, mostly for my wellness, but also for my pocketbook!

What is your expensive vice...and what would you save if you kicked that habit???

2 comments:

phoebec said...

I should do this with my coffee habit, it can get expensive, nice work on breaking down the math.

JustAnotherDay said...

That is crazy! I did math like that for a friend of mine who went to starbucks at least one time a day. When she realized how much she was spending every day on some crazy drinks she started making her own iced coffee!